6.29.2013

Antique Dresser Makeover

I snagged this great dresser from an estate sale a few months ago. It was pretty beat up and dusty but the character and details of the piece are amazing. I decided on an avocado green color and could not be happier with how it turned out. It is the perfect pop of color in our entry way and showcases one of my paintings beautifully.


This is the dresser before. It was very orange-y in color, faded from the sun in spots and had mismatched and broken hardware.




Originally I thought I would stain the top and paint the body of the dresser. That turned out to be more work than I was really wanting to put into it at the time and after I decided I wanted it green I thought painting the entire piece was a better option.


I wanted a chippy and rustic look for my final finish so I started with a coat of Miss Mustard Seed milk paint in blue. This paint stuck to the original finish without any sanding before hand. It chipped off in a few spots which is just what I wanted it to do. After one coat of milk paint I finished with a couple of coats of Benjamin Moore paint in Avocado Green. I did some light sanding around the edges at this point. The last step was to protect the finish. I wanted an old antique look so I finished with Annie Sloan dark wax, two coats. It turned out perfect! The finish is durable and eye catching.



No comments:

Post a Comment